Our southern resident orcas are critically endangered, and their biggest problem is lack of food: Chinook salmon.
By protecting salmon streams and watersheds, and reducing our own salmon consumption, we can help them.
Orcas and salmon are both affected by the warming and acidification of oceans that comes from climate change.
Many species of fish and sharks are threatened by overfishing, and sharks are cruelly finned for soup and medicine.
- Buy local food and support organic if you can
- Choose sustainable seafood via the Seafood Watch app
- Look for wine, beer and produce certified as Salmon Safe: salmonsafe.org
- Find and support Ocean Friendly Restaurants: surfrider.org
- Learn more about orca recovery: medium.com/wagovernor